i'm kaylee rowena (she/her, they/them, or xe/xem; pronounced roe-when-uh) & i'm a comic artist and illustrator haunting baltimore, maryland. i love telling stories about ghosts, haunted houses, complicated lesbians, and all things uncanny and unknown. i graduated from sva's cartooning program in 2020.
interested in hiring me? i'm currently available for personal haunted house commissions, & i'm always open to discussing freelance illustration and comics work. i'm especially interested in gothic horror, unique takes on haunted house stories, stories about morally complex lesbians, and comics that play with unconventional formats. if you've got a project you think i'd be a good fit for, shoot me an email! i'm currently looking to line up work for summer & fall 2023.
books & other publications
comics & artbooks
- the relentless lark #2, written by mark stack, 2023
- the witch's wings and other terrifying tales: an are you afraid of the dark? graphic novel, amulet books - coming fall 2023
- haunts, a haunted house artbook & ongoing illustration project, self-published via kickstarter with 649 backers, 2022
- party of your afterlife, written by jordan alsaqa, 2021
- dr. love wave and the experiments #2, written by greg gustin, 2021
- the scent of may rain, a graphic novella written by mark stack & rae epstein, 2020
- tower magazine issue #1 (comic: decaying orbit)
- hiraeth: a longing for home, an illustration anthology edited by ilinca barbacuta, 2021 (illustration: haunted home)
- embodied: an intersectional feminist comics poetry anthology, a wave blue world, 2021 (comic: university toxic, written by laura hinton)
- gothic tales of haunted futures anthology, bedside press, 2020 (comic: in the shadow of the moon, written by lucía iannone)
- sapphic zines: celestial bodies anthology, 2019 (comic: sun-kissed)
- drawing power: women's stories of sexual violence, harassment, and survival, abrams, 2019 (comic: photographs of wild beasts)
illustrations & cover art
- she is a haunting by trang thanh tran, barnes & noble exclusive edition — endpaper illustrations, 2023
- this discord has ghosts in it ttrpg print edition — interior illustrations, 2022
- absurdia ttrpg - cover art, 2022
- tournament arc ttrpg — cover art & interior illustrations, 2022
- diet milk literary magazine fall/winter 2022 issue — cover art, 2022
- alaska robotics mini-con, juneau, alaska — may 13 2023
- flamecon, nyc — august 12 & 13 2023
- sva fresh meat, nyc — april 27 2018
- dc zinefest, washington dc — july 21 2018
- flamecon, nyc — august 18-19 2018
- ny queer zine fair, nyc — october 13-14 2018
- dc zinefest, washington dc — july 20 2019
- bluestockings comics fest — august 8 & 12 2019
- flamecon, nyc — august 17-18 2019
- brooklyn independent comics showcase, nyc — april 9 2022
- bluestockings digital comics fest - may 23-29 2022
- toronto comic arts festival, toronto — june 17-19 2022
- flamecon, nyc — august 20-21 2022
- spx, bethesda maryland — september 17-18 2022
- hallowzine, baltimore maryland — october 29 2022
about this websitethis website was hand-coded with love by kaylee rowena in 2023. it was made using atom & firefox and is hosted on neocities. it should be pretty decently mobile-compatible. if anything's broken, please let me know so i can fix it!
if you're an artist who wants to move away from big site-builders and code your own site & need some pointers, feel free to reach out any time! i'm totally willing to share parts of my code and things i've learned along the way as an amateur mostly-self-taught coder. more here about why i decided to code my own website & why i think it's important to have our own spaces on the web!
if you're curious about what updates i've made to the site since you last visited, i have an updates log.